[NeXus-committee] publication, yet another variant

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:08:01 BST 2014

In Ray's version, the last paragraph of section II is important and
provides the right information for the next section to follow.  Ray's
paragraph also describes how NeXus attempts to address the goals of
exchange and archive of scientific data, a point raised recently by
Joachim.  Can we place that paragraph into the manuscript and push this
to the GitHub master branch?

I like that section III has an introductory paragraph.

Consistency is a problem, starting with the section title.  Comparing
with the first mention of "hierarchy" in the manuscript ("Most notably a
hierarchy for arranging data in the file.") and later subsection titles,
change the title of this section to "Data Hierarchies".

For consistency, change the name of section III.A.
---: Raw Data File Hierarchy
+++: Raw Data Hierarchy

For consistency, change the name of section III.B.
---: Processed Data
+++: Processed Data Hierarchy

The introductory paragraph (of section III) needs some words to connect
the two "hierarchies" (A. Raw Data Hierarchy, and B. Processed Data
Hierarchy) with base classes, application & contributed definitions.
The foundation for those words is now laid in the last two bullet points
you added to the Introduction, as well as in the section II. General
Principles.  Here's a revised introductory paragraph for section III.

NeXus uses a group hierarchy for arranging data in an HDF5 file.  Data
files may contain raw data or processed data or both, each of which has
a hierarchy.  Groups may contain data fields and may also contain other
groups.  The content of any NeXus group is defined by either a base
class, an application definition, or a contributed definition.

Pete