[NeXus-committee] NIAC committee

Tobias Richter Tobias.Richter at esss.se
Wed Sep 26 13:37:29 BST 2018

Hi Steve,

There is a formal process, outlined in the constitution here: https://www.nexusformat.org/NIAC.html
One of the main obstacles to your proposal to join is the clause “[the committee] consist of at most one voting representative from each […] facility”.

That means voting rights would depend on replacing Mark, which you don’t want to do.
As mentioned last time you would be welcome to join the discussions at the meeting, which you in likelihood cannot attend.

The remaining route would be to get the a motion accepted at the next meeting to have you co-opted onto the committee by the committee in order to “ensure balanced representation”.
Currently Herbert Bernstein and Ray Osborn have that status, due to their significant contributions to NeXus.

If you would like to get involved in the day to day business and discussions of NeXus you can join the hangout meetings – there is one later today:
https://www.nexusformat.org/Teleconferences.html
It is open to all interested parties and most decisions of the NIAC are prepared in that forum.
You can propose topics for discussion as a pull request to the web site repo on Github or use the AOB section. Mark B can provide all the background.
Otherwise the mailing list is an underutilised place for discussions.

See you soon,
Tobias