[Nexus-developers] NeXus autotools

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Fri Feb 20 16:47:54 GMT 2004

On 2/20/04 9:39, "Akeroyd, FA (Freddie)" <F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ray, you need to type
>
>   sh autogen.sh
>
> That will do the "autoconf" and other things for you - you can then run
> configure
>
> Regards,
>
> Freddie

Thanks for the clarification.  I have made progress but encountered two
problems that I was able to fix

1) I don't have libtoolize - I have glibtoolize instead.

% sh autogen.sh
autogen.sh: line 1: libtoolize: command not found
Using autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Using automake (GNU automake) 1.6.3
Using
This libtool version is not supported by NeXus.
NeXus only supports libtool 1.5.*.
You may download it from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libtool

When I change autogen to use glibtoolize, it works.

% sh autogen.sh
Using autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Using automake (GNU automake) 1.6.3
Using libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.5
Locating GNU m4... /usr/bin/gm4
Preparing the use of libtool ...
done.
Building macros...
done.
Building config header template...
done.
Building Makefile templates...
configure.ac: installing `config/install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `config/mkinstalldirs'
configure.ac: installing `config/missing'
applications/Makefile.am: installing `config/depcomp'
done.
Building configure...
done.

Is this glibtoolize command Mac OS X specific?

2) The configure script complains about missing install-sh:

% ./configure
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

When I copied install-sh from the config subdirectory to the same level as
the configure script, ./configure worked.

I'm getting some odd compilation errors, but I'll report those later, but I
thought the above might be useful.

Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845