[Nexus-developers] FW: [Nexus] Bug in NX5getattrinfo ?

Akeroyd, FA (Freddie) F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 10:00:02 GMT 2005

Hi,

I will get chance to work on the windows version over the next couple of
weeks as I need to implement it in an application; the major problem was
clashes of names when trying to build a combined HDF4/HDF5 application
that was not DLL based, but I believe NCSA have now fixed this.

With regard to the XML version, I though I had a problem with it
crashing out half way through running "napi_test-xml" on Fedora Core 2,
but it seems to work at the moment. My concern with the XML version is
the style of XML produced, in particular:

(1) Representation of attributes - the XML text is currently prefixed
with e.g. "NX_INT32: " if it is an integer, but nothing if it is a
string. For safety, strings should have some sort of prefix too
("NX_STRING:" though may look a bit ugly). My argument for a prefix is
that if somebody created a string attribute containing the text
"NX_INT32:1", the current API implementation could not distinguish this
string attribute from an integer attribute.

(2) Encoding of array dimensions - writing:

<name type="NX_FLOAT32[5,4]">

looks nice to the eye, but I worry that it is awkward for non-NeXus
programs to parse. If the purpose of the XML API is to also allow easy
exchange with other programs, we should look to using something more
along the lines of e.g.

<name type="NX_FLOAT32" dimensions="5 4">

Regards,

Freddie