[Nexus] Correct way to specify multiple signals

Jacob.Filik at Diamond.ac.uk Jacob.Filik at Diamond.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 13:09:44 GMT 2018

Would this be to facilitate effectively a default method of display? For example, my NXdata contains a 3D hyperspectral block, on loading does a user expect to see (a) energy vs intensity for first pixel, (b) image of first energy value, or (c) volume rendering of x,y,energy space (or some other volume method). This is really fun to try and do if energy can be the fast axis (for a dispersive detector) or the slow axes (for a monochromator scan) of the dataset.

If so, I feel this could be a useful addition, how else do we know how to display the data? But would hope some kind of @default_plot attribute could be defined to sit in NXdata rather than new group structure.

Jake

-----Original Message-----
From: NeXus [mailto:nexus-bounces at shadow.nd.rl.ac.uk] On Behalf Of V. Armando Solé
Sent: 11 January 2018 11:08
To: nexus at nexusformat.org
Subject: Re: [Nexus] Correct way to specify multiple signals

On 11/01/2018 11:37, Benjamin Watts wrote:
> Hi Armando,
>    Why are the NXplot1d, NXplot2d, NXplot3d, ... groups needed? The
> number of dimensions is clearly findable via the length of the array
> in the "axes" attribute, as well as from the dimensions of the
> dataset(s). Maybe I am missing something?

The goal of proposal 3 is to satisfy people not willing to change NXdata at all while at the same time allowing programs supporting only one type of "plotxd" not trying to go any further if they are unable to visualize those types of plots. Personally I would prefer proposal 1 or 2 but I am open to anything. For instance, a new NXgraph group is equivalent to me to proposal 3.

Armando