[Nexus] nxbrowse and other tools

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:50:31 BST 2022

nxbrowse is an application distributed with the NAPI. See this page for an
example of is use.
https://manual.nexusformat.org/introduction-napi.html?highlight=nxbrowse#how-do-i-browse-a-nexus-file
(this URL should be added to the manual).  Additional links in that page
lead to instructions on how to install the NAPI.

Yet, installing the NAPI may not satisfy your goal of a simple command line
browser.  The simplest command line tool (from the HDF Group) might be
h5dump. Be sure to select some of its options (such as '-n') to control the
output.  Your call which to choose. Depends on what you want to see.

One alternative for the command line is punx (
https://prjemian.github.io/punx), a Python program that provides a tree
view of any HDF5 file. Installation instructions on the web site.

With increasing complexity over the command line tools, the nexusformat and
h5py Python packages provide libraries for you to read NeXus files using
Python code.

Hope this helps,
   Pete