[Nexus] HDFql version 2.5.0

HDFql contact at hdfql.com
Mon Sep 4 22:53:22 BST 2023

We are happy to announce the release of HDFql [1] 2.5.0!

This version includes:

- Added support for sliding cursors (to enable reading a dataset that
does not fit in (RAM) memory in a sliding fashion through a cursor,
allowing a user to (seamlessly) load/process the dataset in an
out-of-core manner)

- Added support to create a dataset/attribute based on the
characteristics (i.e. data type and dimensions) of the input redirecting
(e.g. when executing "CREATE DATASET my_dataset VALUES FROM BINARY FILE
my_file.bin", a dataset named "my_dataset" is created with the
appropriate data type and dimensions to store all the data from a binary
file named "my_file.bin", alleviating the user from specifying these)

- Improved performance and memory footprint of a cursor populated with
values from datasets/attributes (thanks to a zero-copy policy which
reutilizes the buffer used to read these - e.g. given a dataset of data
type INT of three dimensions (size 100x1024x1024), it is 10x faster and
takes 15x less memory to populate a cursor with values from the dataset
in comparison with the previous version of HDFql)

- Added support to write a result set into a dataset/attribute (e.g.
when executing "SHOW FILE INTO DATASET my_dataset", a dataset named
"my_dataset" is created (if it does not exist) with the appropriate data
type and dimensions to store all the names of files found in the
directory currently in use)

(Please check the release notes [2] for further details and some
examples [3] that illustrate how HDFql works)

Links:
------
[1] https://www.hdfql.com
[2] https://www.hdfql.com/resources/RELEASE.txt