FW: merging nexus files

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Wed Jul 26 07:13:55 BST 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Ray Osborn wrote:

> I've just had the following correspondance with someone in Munich.  Is this
> the sort of tool we should be providing?  Is my reply the correct approach?
>
> Regards,
> Ray
>
> on 2000/7/19 10:13 AM, Peter Link at Peter_Link at Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE wrote:
>
> > Dear Ray,
> > discussing with others here at the FRM-II, where we would like to use NEXUS,
> > the question appeared whether there exists a simple method to merge data
> > from several Nexus files together into one file, while keeping the structure
> > of the data of the original files.
> > The purpose of this would be the following:
> > Having a module (program) the writes file1 containing some general
> > information
> > This could be for example NX_sample NX_instrument and so on
> > a second module that writes independently file2 containing some measurement
> > a third module that makes some log of an environmental parameter like a
> > temperature
> > and finally having a module that once called merges together file 1-3(n) to
> > produce a final file with all info.
> >

> Dear Peter,
>
> I can discuss with the other NAPI developers whether we should provide such
> a general purpose tool.  If you decide to write something yourself, I would
> encourage you to make it available for others to look at and/or modify.
> That's one of the intended advantages of NeXus; that whatever we develop may
> be useful to a lot of other people.

  Ray, Peter

  I do not see why such a tool would be necessary because the first
  program can write the header, the second can open the file again and add
  the data and the third yet again and write the logging information.

  BTW: I have been invited to Munich in August, 7-8 to discuss such
  matters in more detail with people there.

                       Mark