[Nexus-developers] NAPI state

Peterson, Peter F. petersonpf at ornl.gov
Fri May 20 15:17:02 BST 2005

Actually, "NICK RULES!!!!" But that is beside the point.

I believe it is within Nick's authority to decide whether a particular
decision is made by him or should go by a vote. I don't have a strong
opinion on this, but if it is deemed necessary I'd recommend that the
tech committee creates it own rules for operating and posts them on the
NeXus website.

On the topic of hiding NAPI specific attributes. There are a couple of
unix principles
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html> that are in
direct conflict here, specifically "(7) the rule of transparency" and
"(10) the rule of least surprise". Least surprise would dictate that the
NAPI gives a consistent view of a file no mater what base is used. This
means that you should either have the type returned as an attribute for
HDF4 and HDF5 based files, or have it hidden in XML based files.
Remember that the NAPI is meant to give a consistent interface to all of
these file bases.

About the target attribute: I don't recall what this does, but vaguely
recall it is involved in links. Could you please explain what it is/does
so people (like me) can make an informed opinion?

P^2