[Nexus-developers] NeXus linking, Java

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Fri Dec 15 11:23:08 GMT 2006

High,

As promised I looked into the issue of linking items with a different
name in NeXus. The results:
- Works in HDF-5
- Works - XML
- Does NOT work in HDF-4. In HDF-4 a group is implemented as a list of
reference ID's and the name is
 an attribute of the object itself. In HDF-4 a renamed link can only be
implemented by copying the data.

Do we want this, with a new API call:
       NXmakenamedlink(NXhandle h, NXlink target, char *newname);
?

For the Java-API I now repackaged the stuff from neutron.nexus to
org.nexusformat. It works, at least the
test program works. But I am still worried because this might break
existing code. So I want some encouragement
to commit this.

              Best Regards,

                          Mark