[Nexus-developers] [MAHID] quick comment about multidimensional hdf5 arrays

Vicente Sole sole at esrf.fr
Sun Jan 24 15:21:06 GMT 2010

Quoting Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Vicente Sole <sole at esrf.fr> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry, I didn't completely follow that last statement. Could you
> be more concrete, what exactly are the names and values of the
> attributes, how do they relate to the dataset, and how are they
> intended to be used?

Well, since the NIAC accepted it, I would expect they would give a name.

If I have to propose it -perhaps one day I'll join the NIAC-, I would
go for a string attribute like:

NXintrinsic_dimension = "0D", "1D", "2D", "3D", ...

(or just NXintrinsic)

the goal of having a string attribute would be to be ready to some
more exotic detector acquisition modes wither present ("ListMode1D",
"ListMode2D", ...) or future.

> I think we made some progress at the workshop, but we only had a
> couple of hours to discuss a lot of implementation issues. I would
> hope that the decisions of the workshop can still be discussed and
> vetted. (Nexus itself has a year-long incubation period for this
> purpose.)

Well, I would expect first to try something prior to decide it is not useful.

Is anybody against the (agreed) attribute being named
NXintrinsic_dimension? Is it too long for the NeXus API?

Armando