[Nexus-developers] NeXus Reference Manual, Classes

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 02:59:27 GMT 2011

Mark:

nxdlformat.tcl shows a condensed version of the structure of groups and
fields in application and contributed definitions.  The rendering
produced by nxdlformat.tcl simplifies the understanding of NXDL
specifications.  It does not render any of the attributes or
documentation content.

It is not easy to decide how to add the documentation from NXDL files to
the output of nxdlformat.tcl.  Rendering of the attributes could be
easily added nxdlformat.tcl.

nxdlformat.tcl uses Tcl and the additional tdom package, both of which
are not currently required to build the NeXus manual.

It seems the entire function of nxdlformat.tcl could be re-engineered in
XSLT (call it nxdlformat.xsl), thus removing the need to add another
language requirement to the construction of the manual.

As an added benefit with nxdlformat.xsl, we could add a line near the
top of each NXDL file referencing nxdlformat.xsl as the default
stylesheet.  With this addition, any NXDL file, when opened in any
common WWW browser, would be rendered in the "nxdlformat" style.  This
is pure sugar.

Either the nxdlformat.tcl or an XSLT transform based on nxdlformat.xsl
could be built into the construction of the manual.  But neither can
replace the tables currently shown in the manual since they provide the
detailed documentation about each item.

Pete