Nexus question/suggestion.

Brian Tieman tieman at aps.anl.gov
Wed Apr 15 19:01:35 BST 1998

Hello,

I work at the APS and am currently tring to add nexus support to some
aqcuisition software we're developing and what I've come across is this:

If I write an attribute that is of a data type other than CHAR, I have
problems reading it back.  The problem, I believe, is due to the
defenition of NXgetattr.  NXputattr accepts a void * to the value to
write for the attribute, however, NXgetattr only allows for a CHAR * to
retrieve the value.

By changing the defenition for NXgetattr from

NXstatus  NXgetattr(NXhandle handle, char* name, char* data, int*
iDataLen, int* iType);

NXstatus  NXgetattr(NXhandle handle, char* name, void* data, int*
iDataLen, int* iType);

I can retrieve int, floats, ect...

My question is, are attributes supposed to be restricted to char data
only in the Nexus specification?  If so, not a problem, I can make the
necessary changes.  If not, then can we get the function declaration
changed to allow for the other data types?

Thanks!

Brian Tieman
SRICAT--APS
(630)252-0141