Signal and Axis

Eric Boucher boucher at aps.anl.gov
Wed Jan 12 16:39:51 GMT 2000

The idea of Ray is very similar to the one I have suggested in an earlier
message to the NeXus list:

>That would be nice if plotable data sets could name their axis instead.
>We could achieve that by assigning axis attributes to a plottable data set
..
>Example for a N dimensions data set:
>axis1: (TAG REF) (TAG REF)		   would list all possible X axis
>axis2: (TAG REF) (TAG REF) (TAG REF)  would list all possible Y axis
>axisN: (TAG REF) (TAG REF) (TAG REF)  would list all possible N'th axis

As Ray said, we could get ride of the TAG value since it's always the same
for SDS.
But my idea was that all axis (primary, secondary, ...) could be listed like
shown above. It would be backward compatible because one could still use the
old method.
And I really think that it would help storing multiple signal data sets
sharing the same axis.

So one possibility could be to add axisRef_N attributes to a signal data
set:

	     primary  secondary
axisRef_1: REF      REF        ...     list all X axis
axisRef_2: REF      REF        ...	   list all Y axis
axisRef_3: REF      REF        ...	   list all Z axis

My problem was not to define axis=1 to be the X axis or not, neither to
start a war between C and fortran, because it is really just a notation
convention and it does not really matter. I just wanted to find a way to
store our data efficiently.

Any comments ?

Eric.