Alternative axis scheme

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Mon Jan 17 07:34:51 GMT 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Ray Osborn wrote:

> I would like to propose a possible solution to this.  I suggest that we
> define an attribute of the multidimensional data to store an int32 array of
> the reference numbers of the one-dimensional data sets it wants to use for
> its axes.  I suggest we call it "axis_ID" so that it's not mistaken for
> anything physical.

  Sorry to reply late to this, but I was away for a few days. Why not use
  SDS-names instead of ID numbers? Such as x-axis=time-of-flight, y-axis=
  detector_x etc. Together with a  restriction that the SDS's have to be
  in the same vGroup we save one level of indirection when searching for
  the SDS to use for the axis. If multiple axis definitions are needed we
  may have a comma separated list: x-axis=time-of-flight,energy. Of course
  this must be attributes to the multidimensional dataset.

                                       Mark