[Nexus] NeXus - a solution to what is not the real problem ?

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Mon Mar 15 08:57:55 GMT 2010

Dear List, Sebastian,

Sebastian Busch wrote:
> [...]
> asked if they could treat the data with LAMP or DAVE because they were
> used to these programs. This was for a long time not possible because
> their developers did not implement a read-in routine for TOFTOF.
>
> Now, TOFTOF data are always converted to a pseudo-IN6 format which can
> then be read -- at least by LAMP. So there is a de-facto standard (IN6)
> which is neither elegant nor readable nor well documented. Your users
> will sooner or later start to convert your data sets to HFBS format if
> they want to use DAVE. Or they will never look at the data again. Why
> not use a standard format from the beginning?
>
> There will always be many data evaluation programs and most of them will
> never have the resources to write a new routine for another
> spectrometer. I am sure that it would reduce the workload on you and
> increase the 'return on beamtime' if the users can use the software they
> always use -- which in turn can read your data [or S(Q, omega)] because
> it is organized in a standard -- NeXus -- way.
>

>> ... Converting software and existing data to NeXus would
>> cost considerable time; ...
>>

> Although my attached example may have a completely wrong syntax, I think
> it shows that there would actually not be a drastic change in your
> files. Some parameters would change their names to NeXus standard,
> others would have to be added, but I would be surprised if you need more
> than one afternoon to implement these changes.
>

>> it would make the data and software architecture more
>> complicated;
>>

> It would certainly increase the size of your data files because more
> information would be stored. However, (1) that's talking about some
> kilobytes and (2) it is good to have this information in the file.
>
> The data would not be more complicated (more complete!) and the software
> would not be more complicated either -- you can still use your yaml
> parsing as others just use their preferred HDF reader!
>

>> ... I would still refuse for esthetic reasons.
>>

> I thought so ;) Do you still regard the yaml version as unesthetic?
> Which parts? The organisation? The information about the spectrometer
> (that's the only part which you don't have already in your raw data
> files as far as I can see)?
>

>> For my taste, the NeXus documentation looks hopelessly bloated.
>>

> After trying to write the attached file, I agree: the documentation
> could need some care. But I guess that nobody would say "no" if there
> were volunteers who have time for that..... ;)
>

>> ... for my purpose, NeXus would be overkill.
>>

> In this point, I disagree. HDF would be overkill -- but applying the
> principles of NeXus is not. You add some more information about your
> spectrometer: that's not overkill. You rename some variables: that's not
> overkill. And you use the structure of some NeXus application definition
> -- or you work out a new application definition if you have other
> requirements: that's not overkill either.

Thanks for the support!

> Turning to the questions I had when writing the file:
>
> 1) NeXus-related
> * Is the NAPItype needed? I am always using a duck typing programming
> language for which this information is useless (and I don't know much
> about C and colleagues). Can I leave it away?

Nope. NAPItype is necessary. The thing is when implementing the
NeXus-XML API we strived
to make this as general as HDF and reasonably efficient for medium sized
datasets. This is why we
store arrays as a large bunch of numbers in C-storage order. And we need
the NAPItype to figure
out the dimensions of the dataset.

> * Storing the counts in NXdetector as two-dimensional array is probably
> efficient but not well human-readable. The way I introduced the
> detectors must be wrong (always linking to the same name) -- which is
> the correct way?
> * Is it OK to add the monitors like so in the NXdetector?

I still do not fully understand how SPHERES is operated. From the
instrument design on
the WWW I come to the assumption (which can be terribly wrong) that you
make scans
on energy transfer by varying doppler speed, chopper speed, velocity
selector speed
or a combination thereof. With this assumption the detector data would
be 2D, with
energy_transfer as one axis and two_theta (polar_angle) of the detectors
the other.

Again I do not know where the monitors sit at SPHERES. But normally
monitors go into
NXmonitor groups on NXentry level. Aain using the assumption above the
monitor values
would be arrays holding the monitor value for each scan point.

> * IIRC, the NXdata field was used to facilitate automatic plotting.
> Typically, I would like to plot (a) the energy-dependent sum over all
> detectors and (b) the angle-dependent sum over all (or a subrange of)
> energies. How do I do that? Does the spectrometer have to store an
> virtual extra detector which contains the corresponding sums?

This seems to be derived data. This ought to go into separate fields or
groups.
In the FOCUS file I gave you as an example I have a virtual NXdetector
group
(called merged) which is the data from the upper, lower and middle detector
bank, well, merged.

Best Regards,

    Mark Koennecke