[Nexus] NeXus on Vista64

Brian Tieman tieman at aps.anl.gov
Thu Jul 1 15:10:18 BST 2010

Freddie,

I'm using Visual Studio 2008.  I'm trying to use HDF5-1.8.5.  I had to
download the sources for 1.8.5 because I couldn't get the pre-built
binaries to link.  I was able to get the hdf5dll project to build
without too much difficulty but some of the hdf5 tools failed to build
do to linker errors.  The tools that did build work fine.  I've tried
H5dumpdll, H5debugdll and H5diffdll--all of which use the dll I'm trying
to link into napi and all of which work as expected.

Since I'm trying to build against 1.8.5 and it looks like napi wants to
use the 1.6 calls, I had to set H5_USE_16_API_DEFAULT to get napi to
build.  Could this be the problem?  The NXDir application fails at the line

NXstatus  NX5open(CONSTCHAR *filename, NXaccess am, NXhandle* pHandle)
         fapl = H5Pcreate(H5P_FILE_ACCESS);

in napi5.c.  HP5create is *not* one of the HDF5 calls whose interface
changed between 1.6 and 1.8.  I do have working 32 bit code but it's
built against napi 3.0 and HDF5 1.6.5.

Are you able to build against the HDF5 prebuilt 64 bit binaries?  If so,
and you're using VS2008, maybe you could send me your project file for
building napi?

Otherwise, I think I'll try stepping back to HDF5 1.6.5 and see if that
helps...

Thanks!

Brian