[Nexus] How to model a grating monochromator?

Wellenreuther, Gerd gerd.wellenreuther at desy.de
Wed Dec 1 09:11:57 GMT 2010

Hi Pete,

thanks for answering!

About the grating: I can ask Jens Viefhaus, who will be using gratings
for his beamline at PETRA III, to help me compiling a list of parameters
required to describe a grating used in monochromators. Or maybe there is
some expert from Bessy / HZB who could do this as well or better?

About the motors/NXpositioner: I think we definitely need a defined way
of saving not only the position of a motor, but all its settings ( think
of soft- and hard-limits, slew_rate, acceleration, stepping_mode,
currents, home, conversion, encoders & calibration, units, ...) . This
should be handled by a base class, IMHO.

What is not clear to me yet is given a device like a crystal in a
monochromator, and given a couple of devices like motors moving/tilting
such a crystal - how should I define what a certain motor is actually
doing? Just trying to deduce the motors function from a name sounds
dangerous ...

Cheers, Gerd

--
Dr. Gerd Wellenreuther
beamline scientist P06 "Hard X-Ray Micro/Nano-Probe"

Tel.: + 49 40 8998 5701