[Nexus] Polarisation

Mark Koennecke Mark.Koennecke at psi.ch
Mon Apr 29 13:18:11 BST 2013

Hi,

On 04/22/2013 04:17 PM, yayahjb wrote:
> [...]
> _diffrn_radiation_polarisn_ratio.
>     Polarization ratio of the diffraction beam incident on the
> crystal. This is the ratio of the perpendicularly polarized to the
> parallel polarized component of the radiation. The perpendicular
> component forms an angle of  _diffrn_radiation.polarisn_norm to the
> normal to the diffraction plane of the sample (i.e. the plane
> containing the incident and reflected beams).
>

> The second pair we got from Harry Powell (who works on mosflm, but who
> was also thinking
> of ease of support for all crystallographic data processing) was:
>
> _diffrn_radiation.polarizn_source_norm
>     The angle in degrees, as viewed from the specimen, between the
> normal to the polarization plane and the laboratory Y axis as defined
> in the AXIS category.  Note that this is the angle of polarization of
> the source  photons, either directly from a synchrotron beamline or
> from a monochromater.  This differs from the value of
> _diffrn_radiation.polarisn_norm in that
> _diffrn_radiation.polarisn_norm refers to polarization relative to the
> diffraction plane rather than to the laboratory axis system. In the
> case of an unpolarized beam, or a beam with true circular
> polarization, in which no single plane of polarization can be
> determined, the plane should be taken as the XZ plane and the angle as 0.
>
> _diffrn_radiation.polarizn_source_ratio.
>     (Ip-In)/(Ip+In), where Ip is the intensity amplitude squared) of
> the electric vector in the plane of polarization and In is the
> intensity (amplitude squared) of the electric vector in the plane of
> the normal to the plane of polarization.  In the case of an
> unpolarized beam, or a beam with true circular polarization, in which
> no single plane of polarization can be determined, the plane is to be
> taken as the XZ plane and the normal is parallel to the Y axis.
> Thus, if there was complete polarization in the plane of polarization,
> the value of _diffrn_radiation.polarizn_source_ratio would be 1, and
> for an unpolarized beam _diffrn_radiation.polarizn_source_ratio would
> have a value of 0.
>     If the X axis has been chosen to lie in the plane of polarization,
> this definition will agree with the definition of 'MONOCHROMATOR' in
> the Denzo glossary, and values of near 1 should be expected for a
> bending-magnet source.  However, if the X axis were perpendicular to
> the polarization plane (not a common choice), then the Denzo value
> would be the negative of _diffrn_radiation.polarizn_source_ratio.
> See http://www.hkl-xray.com for information on Denzo and Otwinowski &
> Minor (1997).
>     This differs both in the choice of ratio and choice of orientation
> from _diffrn_radiation.polarisn_ratio, which,  unlike
> _diffrn_radiation.polarizn_source_ratio, is unbounded.
>      Reference: Otwinowski, Z. & Minor, W. (1997). 'Processing of
> X-ray diffraction data collected in oscillation mode.' Methods

I am in no position to discuss x-ray polarisation. I think polarisation
in NXbeam and NXpolarisation has always been badly
defined. If we now have the expertise available, I would propose to fix
this. For neutrons, the polarisation direction is
important. As well as:

- the polarisation_efficiency = (spinup - spindown)/(spinup+spindown)
- the transmission of the filter
- the relaxation_time, for He3 polarisers. The polarisation of those
degrades with time.

Funny enough, the polarisation_norm, i.e. the measure of the cross
component, is not so important for neutrons as
it is annihilated in the analyzer. That is what I was told....

Best Regards,

                Mar