[Nexus] Nexpy

Carlos Pascual cpascual at cells.es
Thu Jun 15 08:17:22 BST 2017

Hi,

> This is one reason why I would recommend using the nexusformat package to
> read and write NeXus files

Isn't this kind of contradictory with the official recommendation from the
manual (section 4.1)? :

>  It is expected that most application developers will use
>  standard HDF5 tools to read and write NeXus.

... which, for the case of python, I would say it means h5py. I understand
that nexusformat could be considered just a convenience wrap of h5py, but the
same could be said about the old nxs module (which at the end used the
standard  libhdf5).

My concern is that if we recommend one specific module for python access to
nexus, and specially if such module starts doing non-trivial tasks such as in
[1],  we may end up in a situation where we introduce de-facto
incompatibilities between writers and readers (see, e.g. my comment in [1]).

And, on the other hand, if the NIAC does bless nexusformat as the preferred
access method for python, I think it should be stated unambiguously in the
manual.

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/nexpy/nexusformat/issues/32

 Carlos Pascual Izarra
 Scientific Software Coordinator
 Computing Division
 ALBA Synchrotron  [http://www.albasynchrotron.es]
 Carrer de la Llum 2-26
 E-08290 Cerdanyola del Valles (Barcelona), Spain
 E-mail: cpascual at cells.es
 Phone: +34 93 592 4428