[NeXus-committee] NeXus base class discussions

Peterson, Peter F. petersonpf at ornl.gov
Fri Apr 16 19:22:33 BST 2004

I admit that Mark has raised some good points about the voting process. Related to that, here are a couple of discussions that are going on outside of the swiki and off of the list:

The definitions are looking complicated. Remember that not everything in the definition needs to be in the file, and not everything in the file needs to be in the definition. Actually you could have a file without data if you were feeling really silly. For this reason I will be producing some "NeXus" files at the end of the voting process (maybe earlier) to demonstrate what people agreed to. This is related to ...

There is a question about how permanent things are once they are ratified. I've heard this phrased more precisely as "are we voting on a beta, or a version 1?" What do people think? I'm inclined to get a chance to have some operational experience with the definition before we say that it is done. However, NeXus has been "in progress" for a long time without a formal standard immerging, this does not make it look as appealing as it really is.

Peter Peterson