[NeXus-committee] NeXus definitions on the WIKI

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Wed Sep 27 16:01:23 BST 2006

On 2006/09/27 9:11, "Akeroyd, FA (Freddie)" <F.A.Akeroyd at rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have written a MediaWiki extension to pull definitions out of CVS and
> put them into WIKI pages; this would allow us to use the WIKI talk page
> for discussion and keep all edits and changes consistent and versioned
> in CVS. Currently the extension just includes the XML as is, but future
> enhancements would be to also show e.g. a table or tree view.
>
> To use the extension you just put one line on a page such as
>
>     <nxformat file="NXroot.xml"></nxformat>
>
> Will include NXroot.xml from CVS with all relevant characters escaped
> onto the page at that point - see http://www.nexusformat.org/NXroot
> for an example. The "inst_definitions" CVS directory is searched as well
> as "base_classes", so instrument definitions could be included by the
> same mechanism. The WIKI synchronises with CVS every minute, so you
> should see your edit on the page within that short time.

Hi Freddie,
That's incredibly quick, and exactly what was needed.  If you want the XML
displayed as more readable tables, I have written a Python script for
generating wiki tables from XML.  I'll have to check if it still works, but
I guess the extension would have to be written in PHP, or can you embed
Python extensions?  The Python version uses the xml.dom.minidom package so
it would depend on whether PHP has similar XML parsing libraries.

Also, is it possible to shift the CVS and Bugzilla servers to the new web
server?  I guess it would be nice if everything were self-contained.
Perhaps that should be a discussion item next week.

Ray