[NeXus-committee] is NeXus a "data exchange format"

Herbert J. Bernstein yayahjb at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 16:43:59 BST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

  In my discipline we have been unable to resolve the question of what
is the "real" data that should be archived/exchanged.  Different
people have different requirements.   I think it is a mistake to make
the
decision at the level of the format specification.  I would suggest
that the format be as liberal a container
as possible, able to absorb any combination of raw, partially
processed, fully processed or completely
fictional (i.e. pure conjecture models) as possible and let the
beamline scientists, the experimentalists,
the end users, the theorists and the archivists decide which parts of
which files are useful to them.  If
somebody has something they consider useful, we should provide a
convenient way for them to store it
that is sufficiently well-documented that they have a chance of
reading it back later, and, better, that
there is even a chance that a third party might also be able to read
and understand it.

  Regards,
    Herbert