[NeXus-committee] NeXus data file inspection tool. NeXus at ILL. We need to be more flexible.

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:56:49 BST 2014

On 9/2/2014 8:56 AM, Joachim Wuttke wrote:
>> Time to change the way we write these words?
>
> High time.
> The manuscript should not be submitted before this is clarified.
>
> - Joachim

In contradiction to the restrictive text noted previously today, there
is a note that appears on the same documentation page, just above this URL:
http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/datarules.html?highlight=require#nexus-array-storage-order

"The NeXus base classes provide a comprehensive dictionary of terms that
can be used for each class. The expected spelling and definition of each
term is specified in the base classes. It is not required to provide all
the terms specified in a base class. Terms with other names are
permitted but might not be recognized by standard software. Rather than
persist in using names not specified in the standard, please suggest
additions to the NIAC: The NeXus International Advisory Committee."

This is the point that must overwhelm the misunderstanding produced by
the restrictive text that Joachim has identified.  We must correct the
manual and the manuscript accordingly.

Pete