[NeXus-committee] NeXus data file inspection tool. NeXus at ILL. We need to be more flexible.

Pete Jemian prjemian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 17:31:38 BST 2014

Using text from this note, I will modify the manuscript.  Changes shown
as diffs below.

On 9/2/2014 10:56 AM, Pete Jemian wrote:

> "The NeXus base classes provide a comprehensive dictionary of terms that
> can be used for each class. The expected spelling and definition of each
> term is specified in the base classes. It is not required to provide all
> the terms specified in a base class. Terms with other names are
> permitted but might not be recognized by standard software. Rather than
> persist in using names not specified in the standard, please suggest
> additions to the NIAC: The NeXus International Advisory Committee."

-A NeXus base class is rather a dictionary of allowed keywords.
-These keywords designate data fields that can be stored within a group.

+The NeXus base classes provide a comprehensive dictionary of terms
+that can be used for each class. The expected spelling and definition
+of each term is specified in the base classes. It is neither expected
+nor required to provide all the terms specified in a base class.
+Terms with other names are permitted but might not be recognized
+by standard software.
+These terms designate data fields that can be stored within a group.

-Application definitions are therefore complementary
-to base class definitions, which specify the \emph{maximum} content of
groups.

+Application definitions are therefore different than
+base class definitions, which specify a comprehensive
+dictionary of terms that can be used.