[NeXus-committee] [Nexus] NAPI future

Carlos Pascual-Izarra cpascual at cells.es
Thu Oct 22 18:54:42 BST 2020

Dear all,

In ALBA there arestill  a few old codes using the NAPI but we can
totally replace them to using native HDF5 libs or bindings. Anyway, I
answered the questionnaire (below)

Cheers,

Carlos

On 10/22/20 4:08 PM, Koennecke Mark (PSI) via NeXus wrote:
> ## Questions
>
> Abandoning the support for NAPI for bugfix or compatibility with future linux/library/compiler versions will cause me problems at the following level:
>
> [] Critical: I am using NAPI in critical data acquisition or data reduction/analysis software
> [] Major: important applications may not be usable at some future date
> [x] Minor: inconvenience, I have alternatives/can live with this
> [] None: either i am not using NAPI, or I have copies of all the dependencies that I build/maintain myself
>
> [] I want the NIAC to continue developing NAPI and make it support more HDF5 features. Please list the
>    HDF5 feature you miss in NAPI.
>
> Which of the NAPI file format bindings do you use:
>
> [] HDF4
> [x] HDF5
> [] XML
>
> Which of the NAPI language bindings do you use?
>
> [x] ANSI-C
> [] Fortran
> [] C++
> [] Java
> [] IDL
> [] Swig generated bindings to Tcl, perl, ...
>
> Which of the NAPI utilities do you use?
>
> [] NXbrowse
> [] NXingest
> [] NXtranslate
> [] NXconvert
> [] NXdump
> [] NXsummary
>
> General
>
> [] I am willing to help maintain NAPI
>

> The NeXus validator: cnxvalidate, is missing in this list. This is a separate product to NAPI and the NIAC is committed to maintaining it. It uses the HDF5 API directly rather than NAPI.

  Carlos Pascual Izarra
  Scientific Software Coordinator
  Computing Division
  ALBA Synchrotron  [http://www.albasynchrotron.es]
  Carrer de la Llum 2-26
  E-08290 Cerdanyola del Valles (Barcelona), Spain
  E-mail: cpascual at cells.es
  Phone: +34 93 592 4428