[NeXus-committee] NeXus Show-And-Tell meetings

Paul Millar paul.millar at desy.de
Tue Nov 28 22:07:36 GMT 2023

Hi,

I have an idea for a way to support NeXus development at DESY and was
wondering if people in NIAC would be willing to contribute.

There are a couple of areas of work at DESY where people are interested
in using NeXus in new and interesting ways.  One involves work in
reflectometry-based measurements in at (PETRA III's) P08 beamline.  The
other involves recording data from the ALPS II experiment (!)

In both cases, the people involved have "something" (in P08, its new
base classes and an application definition; for ALPS-II, I believe
they're just using existing base classes) and have reached out to ask
for technical advice: is what they're doing reasonable? are they on the
right tracks?

I didn't feel that I could give them very concrete answers. However, the
people in the NIAC have substantial knowledge and are in a much better
position to point out "gotchas" or other potentially sub-optimal
decisions in the approaches.

I'm proposing to organise a couple of one hour Zoom meetings, where each
meeting would be dedicated to a specific use-case (one on
P08-reflectometry and one on ALPS-II).  The person involved would
briefly present the background and then outline how they intend to use
NeXus to describe their data.  The audience of experts would provide
feedback and perhaps triggering a discussion.

Obviously, this only works if there is an audience to provide this
feedback, which is why I'm asking if anyone from NIAC would be
interested in participating.  If you are interested then we can do a
Doodle-like poll to choose the best available slots.

So, who would be interesting in "yet more Zoom meetings on NeXus"?

Cheers,
Paul.