[Nexus] [Question] XAS data format with NeXus

V. Armando Solé sole at esrf.fr
Mon Sep 16 16:53:49 BST 2019

Hello,

On 14/09/2019 05:42, matumot at spring8.or.jp wrote:

> I found templates for XAS below.
>
> Nxxas: http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/applications/NXxas.html
>
> Nxxasproc: http://download.nexusformat.org/doc/html/classes/applications/NXxasproc.html#nxxasproc
>

> But is this practically used in your facilities?

I can just speak for the ESRF. No, it is not.

> If you have information on XAS related data format with NeXus.
> could you let me know for our discussion in Japan?

My opinion is that one has to separate raw data layout from data
analysis (or exchange) layout. NeXus provides very clear solutions for
both. However, the implementation of the later is far from optimal.
Instead of trying to map (inside an NXsubentry) any solution adopted by
the XAS community (like XDI or similar
http://journals.iucr.org/s/issues/2012/06/00/xa5006/index.html) or
supported by XAS analysis codes, the NIAC decided to cook their own
solution imposing the rest of the the NeXus structure that is useless
from the analysis point of view.

The slides attached summarize my views.

Armando