[Nexus] NXmonitor data

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Mon Dec 13 18:10:39 GMT 2004

On 2004/12/13 10:30, "Hammonds, John P." <jphammonds at anl.gov> wrote:

> I have been looking at NeXus classes more closely and have a question on
> NXmonitor.  I have gone through the history on the swiki and have not
> found any other discussion on this.  It seems that there was a lot of
> discussion on the similarity of NXmonitor and NXdata.  In NXmonitor
> <data> is defined with type =NX_INT[:] while with NXdata it is defined
> as NX_FLOAT[:]|NX_INT[:].  Is there a good reason for this difference or
> should NXmonitor be expanded to allow both floats and ints.

John,
I think it was assumed that monitor data tended to be stored as actual
counts, whereas NXdata had to be able to cope with data that had been
processed.  However, even raw monitor data might be stored as a
distribution, e.g., neutrons/microsecond, so I think it makes sense to
expand the NXmonitor definition as you suggest.

Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845