[Nexus] Beamline description using Nexus

Heike Görzig heike.goerzig at helmholtz-berlin.de
Mon Jan 22 14:06:03 GMT 2018

Hi,
I am Heike Görzig working at HZB in Berlin in a BMBF financed project on
data management with focus on metadata.
To begin with, I want to describe the BESSY II beamlines using nexus. As
starting point we found useful using the XML file generated by the
simulation software RAY-UI, which is available for many beamlines at
BESSY II.

At the beamlines at BESSY II we are using gratings quiet often.
NXgrating is defined as a base class in the Nexus definitions, but I
can't create a NXgrating using nexpy or nexusformat in python3. Normally
it should be possible, or am I wrong here?

The other question I have, might be a bit out of scope of the intention
nexus was created for, but I believe some of you might have run into the
same challenges and it would be great to get advices from you and not
adding more variety to the list a common challenge can be dealt with.

There are three very concrete questions:
In the simulation software the size of e.g. a mirror or grating is very
important as well as the slope error, but therefore I can't find
anything in the nexus definition. Has someone of you managed this?
The other question I have is about the layers in mirrors. For substrate
and coating there is a roughness defined, but not so for the layers.
Otherwise, the coating is lacking a thickness. Has someone tackled this?

The next question is more general, if someone of you has created an
application definition for describing beamlines at their facility and
how are you relating the beamline description to an experiment?

Thank you,
Heike

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH

Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren e.V.

Aufsichtsrat: Vorsitzender Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher, stv. Vorsitzende Dr. Jutta Koch-Unterseher
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Bernd Rech (kommissarisch), Thomas Frederking

Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583

Postadresse:
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

http://www.helmholtz-berlin.de