[NeXus-committee] HDF WSSSPE2 Paper

Ted Habermann thabermann at hdfgroup.org
Mon Dec 22 21:02:33 GMT 2014

Hello all,

It has been a crazy time for me since the WSSSPE2 workshop at Supercomputing. Three week long meetings in the interim...

At one of those meetings (American Geophysical Union) I gave a very brief talk see http://www.slideshare.net/tedhabermann/the-hierarchical-data-format-hdf-a-foundation-for-sustainable-data-and-software) that developed the WSSSPE2 slide a bit more. The general idea is that HDF works with partners to create "Whole Products" that cross the chasm in particular communities. Understanding and building on these partnerships is a critical piece of making HDF sustainable.

The most recent version of the WSSSPE2 paper (http://figshare.com/articles/The_Hierarchical_Data_Format_HDF_A_Foundation_for_Sustainable_Data_and_Software/1112485) includes two elements in the Next Steps section. The first is:
The initial goal is a set of stories that go beyond technical details to build a clear picture of the Whole Product (Moore, 1991) that managers and decision-makers can understand and respond to. The goal of this effort is to create the information needed to make decision makers aware of the multi-disciplinary consensus that has already formed around HDF5. They need to know that their communities are not alone in their quest for interoperable data. In fact, there is a bandwagon that they can join.

We have an opportunity to write a longer paper and to publish it along with other WSSSPE2 papers in an electronic journal during 2015. I need to check on exactly which journal that is. I am thinking that a collection of adoption stories that help illuminate successful community development strategies (as described above) would be a great addition to a longer paper. Would appreciate thoughts on that idea...

BTW, the list continues to grow...

Happy holidays!
Ted

[cid:32323496-C60B-49FF-8310-11CCF46BDC72]